About Shelter Island, New York
Shelter Island is located 100 miles from New York City. The island is around 8,000 acres in size, however, vast tracts are protected wetlands nature preserve marshland.
“An Island Sheltered By Islands” — This was the name given to Shelter Island by the Manhansset Indians, long before the first English settlers arrived in 1652. They must have had a peaceful and bountiful life, since the Island is protected from the worst of weather by the sheltering arms of Long Island’s North and South Forks. The surrounding waters yielded up a bounty of fish and water fowl, while the woods and fields were equally stocked with deer and other game.
The Manhansets are gone, but the Island remains, still peaceful, still protected, still bountiful. Nearly one-third of this 8,000-acre Island is owned by The Nature Conservancy and kept in a forever-wild state. The Preserve has four nature and bird-watching trails, varying in length from 1.5 miles to 11 miles, as well as a barrier-free Braille trail for the visually impaired.
Miles of beautiful breeze-swept beaches are available to those who simply wish to relax or swim in the clear water. Wades Beach is perfect for children because it is situated on the calm Shelter Island Sound; there is a town lifeguard on duty during the summer season.
Excellent restaurants serve a selection of cuisines to satisfy varying tastes. Scattered across the Island are shops and business services to meet every need. There are also bike rentals and two golf courses. Boasting three deep-water harbors, each has a fully equipped marina and are welcome havens for those who arrive by boat. Access to the Island is by car ferry; from Greenport on the North Fork, a 10 minute run, or from North Haven on the South Fork, only three minutes away.